National Veterinary Nursing Awareness Month is an annual event organised by the BVNA (British Veterinary Nursing Association) which aims to raise awareness of the role of the veterinary nurse in practice and highlight their importance within the veterinary profession.
You will be used to seeing our veterinary nurses at all our branches of Cinque Ports Vets either for nurse consultations or in Reception. Did you know they also have a very important role behind the scenes?
They will often be:
- assisting with surgical procedures
- monitoring anaesthetics
- taking blood samples and placing intravenous catheters
- assisting with X-Rays
- carrying out laboratory work
- caring for all the patients, whether day patients or hospitalised on intravenous fluids, administering medication, routine monitoring of vital signs and providing lots of TLC!
- Of course they also maintain the ever important high standard of hygiene required in practice (cleaning!)
All qualified veterinary nurses are officially registered with the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) ensuring that they are keeping their skills up to date and following the RCVS Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Nurses.